What is the deal with the weeks thing? My whole life anytime anyone talks about pregnancy it is in terms of months. Mom would tell stories that begin with, "When I was 6 months pregnant...", or women would complain that the first 3 months were agonizing because of the morning sickness, and so on. All of a sudden Elisha gets pregnant and no one counts by months anymore. It's "we found out at eight weeks" or "how many more weeks" or "we get to find out what we're having at twenty-two weeks." What happened to months? I know how many months it takes to have a baby. I know what month we're on. I don't have a clue what week we're on, especially because it changes so often. Months are nice, they stick around for awhile.
Ultra-sounds: Not as bad as I thought, the second time around anyway. So we go in to get the twenty something week ultra-sound, you know the one when you find out what you're having. Wanna know how Elisha reacted when we found out we are having a boy? Yeah, me too! I couldn't see her! Yeah, lousy experience. Our tech wasn't that horrible, but she wasn't that nice either. To start with, we walk into the room, the machine is right between a chair and a bed. The tech points to the chair and tells me to have a seat. So, for the whole experience there is a big huge machine between me and Elisha so I don't get to see how she reacts when we find out it's a boy. (There was a TV on the wall so both of us could see the images.)
Speaking of having a boy. Look at this ultra-sound and tell me what gender the baby is:

I know that the scan is hard to see, but let me reassure you, in person it's not much better. When I asked her if she was sure, she said, "I've been doing this for a long time." Well let me tell ya lady, if you'd been doing this for a long time you should have known that you had a father on your hands that wanted a bit more reassurance.
We went back in for another ultra-sound a couple of weeks later for different reasons, but this tech was much nicer and when I asked her to re-verify the gender, she gladly did so:
I still haven't updated either blog about the baby showers, but I would like to take a moment to recognize another really awesome gift that we received. The previous post about baby stuff was more about orange things, and not necessarily about the best of the best when it comes to baby gifts. (If I don't mention what you gave us, I apologize, I don't mean any offense)This gift set comes to us from our dear friends Brittney and Clyde, although I'm sure Brittney really deserves the credit. We have the really awesome book:
The play toy to go with it:
And various other things that all came in this bin, that was awesomely decorated to tie the theme together.
When we received this gift, I didn't show the proper appreciation for it. I thought that it was a set of really cute things, and was impressed that the bright colors matched those of our nursery. What I didn't know at the time was that this is the ultimate of all children's stories, nor did I know that this was all stuff Elisha had registered for.
I doubt that any of you are questioning who this Eric Carle guy is, but apparently he is to children's literature, as Stephen King is to popular horror; John Grisham to courtroom thrillers; Robert Cormier to young adult literature.
Without this knowledge I was kinda like: "oh, cool."
Then I realized that it is like when I tell people that I have Robin Lively's autograph. (Also supplied by Brittney and Clyde.)

Most people go: "oh, cool." But they have no idea how really cool it is because they don't know who Robin Lively is. Once I tell you, you will still be kinda like "oh, cool," but then when you watch this clip and remember seeing Teen Witch back when you were a kid, you'll go I remember now, and then you will be more like: "Holy cow, how did you get her autograph? That is awesome!" And if you didn't see the movie as a kid, you will watch that clip, and it will haunt you until you borrow the movie from me, or Netflix, and then you will appreciate the awesomeness of my auto-graphed picture.
The same way that I now appreciate Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar and the gifts that came with it.
First of all, I love that you are posting a real rant! I am very proud. Also, I am going to give you a piece of advice. If you encounter raunchy medical staff-demand your way. Say-I need to be by my wife. Move the machine or this chair. Seriously. I learned that being very assertive is the only way to deal with these people. The nice ones are the best, but you aren't always going to get that.
ReplyDeleteAre you "THE" Jason from Jessica's comments? LOL! Okay, so I found your blog from Kathy's blog....and I love it! You have made very good points with the whole pregnancy thing! Congrats on a boy by the way! Is this you and your wife's first baby? Very exciting times:) I am also having a boy. Anyways.....great blog!
ReplyDelete