Thursday, April 30, 2009

She Ruined My Finals!

I am very happy to say that I have taken my last final for the semester. Unlike some of my lucky friends I won't be graduating for awhile, but it is nice to be able to look forward to summer vacation.

Typically I don't stress big tests. I've always been one of those really annoying people who tests really well without even studying. Sadly, I have noticed that this is a skill that depreciates with age. Of course, even though I know this, I still don't prepare properly for tests.

This semester I only had two finals worth stressing about. I didn't prepare, and both of these tests turned out to be worse than I thought they would be. I took the last of these tests today, and before the professor was finished handing out the exam, I knew that I was in for a difficult time. About halfway through the test I accepted that the lack of preparation on my part was going to be reflected in my test score, so I resigned myself to be happy about the only other part of the test that could bring me joy: finishing first.

A brief side story: Earlier this semester I read a book called Split Screen: Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies/Bride of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies. The book was relatively forgettable, except for two things. First, the story is told from two perspectives, so after you finish reading one character's story, you flip the book over and read about it from the other character's perspective. Second, and the relevant part for this post, this quote:

"There are few greater joys in life than finishing a test before anyone else."

I never really thought that other people shared in this joy, but I assume that is because I usually finish first, so I only see anger on other's faces as I get up to hand in the test.

Back to today: Knowing that I was bombing the test (luckily it doesn't amount to much of the final grade, so don't worry, my grade will survive), I was finishing my final thoughts on the last answer, about to stand up, when a girl at the table next to me got up and handed in her test! I was furious! I am still furious! She ruined my day. I can handle not doing well on a test, but to not do well and not finish first. She may have ruined the entire semester, for this is going to be my final memory of Spring '09.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is a very strange fact I did not know about you. If I finish first, I always wait for someone else to hand theirs in. I always thought it made me look like I hadn't taken the test as seriously as I should. I never thought about it from your point-of-view. Very strange indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails