My friend, Myri, is posting a poem a day in honor of National Poetry Month. I'm not as cool as her, but I've decided I can handle one original and one favorite a week. Although, this will actually be my second original this week.
I was inspired to write this poem after spending hours writing a poem, and then getting the standard "That's nice dear." I was crushed. I spent hours on it. So much work, and it was consumed so quickly. On Easter, I thought the same thing as I saw how quickly dinner was devoured after my mother-in-law, Dawn, spent all day working so hard.
So this poem is for her and for all the poets who work so hard for our enjoyment: (Forgive the annoying underscoring; without it I can't keep the format the way I want it.)
Poems and Holiday Dinners
Poets,
__________________chefs.
_________Work
hours
__________________hours.
Prepare,
__________________baste.
Revise,
__________________prepare.
Ruminate,
__________________marinate.
_________Work.
_________Blood.
_________Sweat.
_________Tears.
_________Fears.
Poems,
__________________dinners:
_________Devoured
_________instantly.
_________Great
_________ones:
Poems,
__________________dinners,
Enrich,
__________________nourish,
_________last
_________forever.
Anyone who has prepared a meal for a large group will agree that you nailed it! I especially liked ruminate, marinate. Great! I have been trying to think of a new original, but have had no luck. Although, a recent spousal tiff may inspire me.
ReplyDelete