Saturday, August 28, 2010

Top Ten Books I Read in College: Number 9

In descending order, my favorite books (and by books I mean fiction-novels) from four years of study at Dixie State College:

9. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang.

An award winning graphic-novel about a young man learning to live in two cultures. The novel tells three seemingly separate stories that ultimately blend together for a surprising and touching twist. This novel not only entertains, it sheds light on a difficult situation that many Americans face, and it does it in a way that appeals to many would-be non-readers.

While I liked the graphic-novel format of this book, the story is what puts it on the list. I really like the attitude of the novel. Yang really does a great job of using ugly-stereotypes to convey his message without glamorizing them.

For being a really fun book that smacks you in the face with some really important stuff, American Born Chinese arrives at number 9.

1 comment:

  1. If this is second to last, I am definitely intrigued about your other entries.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails