In descending order, my favorite books (and by books I mean fiction-novels) from four years of study at Dixie State College:
6. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

The story of the Macons Dead. Morrison's novel follows the Dead family for three generations--from the beginning to the end of the Dead family name. This novel vividly, and at times graphically, follows Milkman's search for his own identity. There is a great motif on flight in this novel; if you can, read the introduction by the author before reading the book, for she can explain it a lot better than I.
This was one of the last novels I had a chance to read in college. I don't know if it took me four years to develop the skill, or if Morrison does a better job of doing it, but I love this book because of all of the little details that travel through the novel that are always so significant. I was bewildered at Morrison's ability to intertwine such small details. It is obvious that she was aware on page one of exactly what she wanted to accomplish on the last page. I liked that Things Fall Apart did such a good job of making Okonkwo's experience feel universal. Song of Solomon seems do the opposite of that, yet still maintains its appeal. The story of Milkman Dead is very unique--and certainly different from anything in my own life. While we all spend copious amounts of time searching for ourselves, it is the uniqueness of Milkman's life and quest that kept me turning the pages.
For making me drop my jaw over and over again--whether it be the story itself or the way it's told--Song of Solomon flies on to the list at number 6.
I am glad this is on the list because it definitely requires thought, lots of thought, to get through it. I started out disliking it, but ended up the opposite. Mostly because as I read it, I kept thinking about it, even when I wasn't reading it. I think it is also a cautionary tale about smothering your child so much that he is spoiled in the literal sense of the word.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to add it to my to-read list considering these two glowing reviews.
ReplyDeleteI've never read this...but it better be the most amazing writing ever to pass up Fitzgerald and Achebe.
ReplyDelete