Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'm a Real Blogger Now

It's official, I am a real-live authentic blogger. I'm not a wannabe anymore. Wanna know how I know? I'll tell you: Last night when I went out with some friends to a movie something annoyed me. The very first thought I had was: This is Sooooo going on my blog!

The story begins a little earlier at lunch. Elisha and I went to Burger King. I ordered a small drink. The drink that I received was the size of a Big Gulp (32 oz), definitely larger than what I wanted. Of course, I don't complain too much. Although I couldn't help thinking that this might be why the country is dealing with an obesity problem. I actually wanted a small drink with lunch, but I got, and drank, a giant massive one.

Last night, I went to a movie with some friends and family. Again I want a drink, and this time since I want it to last a couple of hours, I ordered a medium drink. As I'm paying for the stuff some kid hands me a tiny little cup (I'm guessing 12 oz, but maybe 16), claiming it is my medium drink. What is going on here?

The moral of the story: Fast food places are trying to make you fat. Movie places are trying to help you stay skinny.

Here's the real rant: At the movie I looked at three cup sizes and decided that I wanted the middle size one. I told the girl behind the counter I wanted the medium drink, thinking that the word medium would convey the meaning of "middle size." After the boy handed me the equivalent of the "free water" cup that I just paid 3 bucks for, I looked up at the menu. The sizes listed were medium, large, and extra-large. There wasn't even a small on the menu. In my way of thinking, there can't be a medium if there isn't a small. The medium becomes the small. I'm no language scholar, but I'm pretty sure that the word medium implies "middle" not "smallest." Oh, wait, I am a language scholar, and I'm right.

I understand that the place wanted to name their sizes differently so that they seem different than everyone else, but I don't care. If they want to name their sizes , why don't they name them (Coldstone Creamery is a good example of this, go eat there and find out.). They could call them Bertha, Matilda, and Bob. No one else has those names for their drink sizes. That way when I say "medium" the child behind the counter will be forced to assume I mean the middle one, or clarify, and say "You mean you want a Matilda."

About 2 minutes after I get done complaining about all of this to my brother, my uncle walks up pointing to his bag of popcorn and says that he should have been more clear. "I thought when I said extra-large, I was going to get the bucket."

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! I had a similar movie experience last night! I will have to blog about it...
    I am glad you are an authentic blogger now. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this is the problem with Americans being overweight. I love the movie theatre and the sixe concept as well as Popcorn. I love being asked "Do you want butter on that?" If you repond "just a little" the kid puts waaaay to much on so now I just say no thanks, I hate the greasy hand thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails