Saturday, August 1, 2009

I guess I'm one of "Those" people

I can't believe, less than two months have passed, and I've already become one of "those" people.

What people, you ask?

The kind of person who takes a baby to a movie!

There's no need to curse me, I've already done that myself.

Seriously, who takes an infant to a movie?

Okay, I apologize if you have done such a thing. Don't be offended, because now I'm one of you.

Let me explain:

When Elisha and I moved to St. George, we assumed that there were no babysitters in the whole community. We saw babies everywhere, and as newlyweds, of course the first thing that came to mind was: "Why don't these people get a babysitter?"

We saw babies at movies, no matter the time of day. We saw babies at live productions, even though the program said no children under 7. We even saw a baby and a toddler at a live production of Sweeney Todd. I had nightmares after that one, I can only imagine the poor children!

Don't get me wrong. Elisha loves babies, and I love, well, Harrison. So, we don't mind seeing them. There are just certain times that babies should be left home, and watching a play wherein people have their throats cut every five minutes is one of those times.

So, with such strong feelings, how did I become one of "those" people?

Well, I have a baby, and I wanted to go see a movie. It's really that simple.

Elisha was planning to go to SLC without me for the weekend, and we decided it would be nice to go out and have fun before she left. So we packed up the baby, went to Shroomies* for an awesome burger, and then we went to see The Proposal. We went to the five o'clock show, on a Wednesday, hoping the audience would be small. Especially since the movie has been out for awhile.

Overall, it was a successful operation. We only had to take him out into the hall once, and it wasn't because he was making too much noise, he just needed to be changed. We fed him, and he didn't even offer his usual protest screams when we burped him. Although, he did burp loud enough for the whole theatre to hear. He wasn't absolutely silent the whole time, but I figured his quick little squeaks weren't any worse than the cell phone that rang-multiple times!

I'm not sure we'll take him back anytime soon. We both decided it would be easier just to plan ahead and find a babysitter, but if we do we have some rules:

  • No movies after 6.
  • No action or really loud movies.
  • No Saturday movies.
That way I still can feel like I'm not exactly one of "those" people.

*Some people feel like restaurants are another place where small children shouldn't be seen. This depends on the restaurant. If you have to dress up, and then get financing to cover the cost, then maybe you should leave the kid at home. Otherwise, I've actually always thought it is really cute when the kid at the next table pokes his head over just to say "Hi."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails