Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Power of Language

This post comes with a potpourri of inspiration. I guess the main flashback idea comes from Jessica. However, the reason and content is a combination of my own recent post on our other blog, and a bit of annoyance for Kathy.

One of Kathy's pet peeves, and one for most English majors, is the misconception that we are all absolutely perfect spellers and grammarians. I am nowhere near perfect. Especially in grammar. I am a very good speller, but, really I'm just picky, so I make sure to spell check everything.

There are all kinds of English majors out there. Unfortunately that includes the really annoying ones that like to fix your grammar all the time. But there are also people like Kathy and I, people who like to read and to write, people who understand the power of language.

So today I would like to share a memory with you from around the time I was 19 or 20. A flashback you could say. One that involves part of Harrison's name (you knew I'd bring it back).

A long time ago, long before I had a desire to be an English teacher or even to attend college, I decided I really liked the name August, and that I wanted to use it for my child some day.

I shared this information with a friend of my mother's who had a newborn son named Joey. (Not Joseph or Joe, but Joey) When she heard that I wanted to name my son August, she scoffed:

"August? What kind of name is that? That's ridiculous."

I was devastated. I thought it was the coolest name ever, and here this woman was mocking me.

So how did I respond? Did I correct her grammar? No. That's not what people who understand the power of language do.

I grabbed a dictionary.

I asked her, "So, you think August is a silly name?"

"The word August means 'marked by majestic dignity or grandeur.' That doesn't seem silly at all."

I continued, "Do you know what Joey means? A joey is a baby kangaroo."


"Who do you think is cooler? One who has been marked by majestic grandeur or a baby kangaroo?"

She didn't talk to me for awhile after that.

Language is power, and that is why I'm an English major.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post so much! Thank-you for this funny, funny story. I am glad we understand the power of language so we can enjoy each other's blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great. I love the power of language and that is a reason for being an English major.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so you probably HATE reading my posts because I am a horrific speller!!!! And I mean, horrific!!!! So thanks for making me MORE self conscious of YOU and KATHY now!

    Why are you feeling the need to keep explaining why you like the name August?!?! It's an AWESOME name!!!!! And so is Harrison! I LOVE both of them, infact, maybe I'll baby name steal it! hahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails